We offer beef for sale by the quarter and side, and as our supply allows, by the cut from our freezers.
Our cattle enjoy the highest quality of life, are free from medications and hormones, and move all over the farm: managing our grasslands, opening up marginal areas, and grazing cover cropped sections of the garden. Although their diet is based on pasture and stored forage, it is also supplemented with the spoils of our market gardens and spent grains from Stone City Ales in the off season.
Most of us don’t buy meat by the side: but if you’ve got yourself a deepfreeze (or are willing to invest in one), it’s a great way to have affordable, high quality food on hand all of the time. It’s not as simple as buying it from the grocery store, but it’s fairly straightforward, and in the long run, a lot cheaper and simpler.
Our beef is sold by the pound @ $5/ based on the hanging weight, plus the butchering fees.
Down Payment and Pick-Up
We ask for a small down payment on beef: $150/quarter, $300/half, $600/whole
Owing to it’s production in an uncontrolled natural environment: the beef will be ready when it is ready. A number of diverse factors affect this, including: animal condition, forage quality, butcher access and transportation. That being said, we are aiming for our next batch of beef to be ready for mid-summer and invite you to partake in the next harvest!
We ask that our customers meet us when we return from the butcher with the frozen meat: you will have three weeks notice in advance of this date. Your meat will come wrapped and frozen: we recommend coolers or sturdy containers to bring it the rest of the way home.
We have a small nucleus of breeding animals here at Salt of the Earth. They’re registered Beef Shorthorns: a heritage breed from the north of England that has gone on to spawn 30+ breeds. They respond well to grass feeding and marginal pastures, are excellent mothers and all-around easy keepers. Some of our cows have been exhibited at the Royal Winter Fair, and all of them have great genetics.
Sign Up for Beef
If you’d like to purchase beef by the quarter, half or whole for 2016, please fill out the form below – thank you!
The Fine Print
- we’ll mail you a receipt for your down payment
- the balance of the purchase is due at pick-up – we will contact you in advance with the exact amount
- the beef is hung/aged for 2-3 weeks, you can have it hung longer, but costs an additional $40/week
- we sell our quarters as “split quarters” ie: not a front or back quarter, but half of a side evenly distributed in two
- custom orders are available for whole and sides of beef, because our quarters are “split” they cannot be custom butchered – instead you’ll get the standard breakdown (which is quite nice)
- when it comes to custom orders, the best we can do is to relay your requests to the butcher: there’s not much we can do if things do not come back exactly as you requested
- butchering fees are subject to change, and will vary between shops (availability sometimes being an issue)
- if you’re going in on beef with friends/family, we communicate with a single “point person”, and also please understand that we do not break down or handle beef in volumes smaller than a quarter
- please contact Charles if you have any more questions!